Sunday, May 1, 2011

Why lying to ourselves about anything makes us feel sick or depressed

I just had this realization that  when I am feeling negative in any way, I am lying to myself about something.  Out of the blue I realized that I can't feel bad when I am telling myself  my truth. And when I am lying to myself, or suppressing my truth, I get depressed. I not only get depressed but if I lie to myself for a prolonged period of time I become physically sick. The realization about what lying does to me and what telling myself the truth does for me led me to write this self-help insight.

Lying to myself makes me feel heavy, somber and depressed. Telling my truth to myself makes me feel lighter, brighter and carefree. That's how I can tell the difference when I am lying to myself  versus when I am telling my truth to myself.

Here is my truth about blogging today.  I blog to have an outlet for my thoughts and feelings.  Blogging is self-help therapy for me. Blogging help me sort out my thoughts and get clear about what I believe and what is really true for me regardless of what is true for other people.

Here are my lies about blogging before today.  I told myself that I was blogging to become a famous writer. I was blogging to make money and become rich. I was blogging to help people.  Those statements are all lies, lies I really believed. I believed those lies as my truth until blogging for those reasons started causing me a lot of pain and causing me to experience frustration and depression. The truth be told, I don't give a shit about being a famous writer, fame is overrated. And I don't want to be rich if the process of being rich makes me unhappy. And finally, helping other people is all bullshit. The only person I can truly help in myself... In most cases, other people don't want my help, so why waste my time writing a blog and giving self-help advice when no one asked for it.

I will admit, I get a kick out of people reading my stuff and leave me flattering comments. And I am thrilled when someone leave an unexpected donation in support of my blogging efforts but donations are so few and so far between that it makes me wonder why I have a donation button on my blog at all.

As I learned a long time ago, the truth is not always pretty, sometimes it can be downright ugly. This could be one of those times for you.

I don't know whether you will be back and read anything else I write but let's be clear, I am writing this  blog for the sole purpose of me getting clear about my truths and lies so I can feel better about myself.

In truth, I don't give a shit about you or what you get out of my writings because it is not possible for me to give a shit about people I don't know and I don't know you...... unless you choose to leave a comment and tell me something about yourself and then I will care about you.....

One final thought.  Going back over what I wrote to to make sure this post is free of grammar and typo errors, as a way of trying to impress you. is a royal pain in the ass for me.  And in spite of my best efforts to make this piece of writing free of errors, I am sure some anal retentive perfectionist will discover I missed something and will want to bring it to my attention. If it is you, don't bother!  Now, that my truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment